Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Brain Yoga


Every Thursday I am such a happy girl...

People think I'm crazy for making the hour plus commute to Westwood to further (ok, pretty much begin) my higher education. I've actually created a little weekly ritual for myself.

I try and leave early to avoid as much traffic as possible (thank you mom) and use the time in the car to talk with God or catch up on phone calls. Once there, I stop into Whole Foods Market around the corner from the campus to grab a Spicy Tuna Roll and some iced tea for a picnic dinner for one. There are a few special spots where this little meal takes place depending on whether or not I feel like communing with nature and architecture or students and coffee blenders. Either enables me to savor the flavor of University life...I relish the moments before class as much as I do the classes themselves.

School for me is like Brain Yoga. My mind is stretched to capacity and then holds it's pose as creativity and instruction breathe life into my being. The experiences I've had so far on this beautiful campus have been nothing short of a gift from God. My class last quarter, "The Art of the Personal Essay" was held in the amazing Royce Hall (above). Its tall, brick archways, ornate, carved details and glass bottle windows are rich with history and culture. I also love to sit in the beautiful Powell library (below). It smells of books and old plaster and I'm regularly drawn in to sit for a spell. While shooting these photos, I felt so blessed to be able to study here. I'm certain I will never take my time at UCLA for granted.


It is a precious few hours each week of sheer mental bliss...

2 comments:

Rich & Shawna said...

I felt the same way!

Ruth Karpinski said...

I miss you professor Shawna! (: